Executive Director Position
Williamsburg Area Transit Authority (WATA) is seeking an Executive Director. WATA is a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia, providing fixed-route and ADA complementary paratransit services to the greater Williamsburg area which includes James City County, City of Williamsburg, and York County.
The Executive Director oversees all employees and the overall day-to-day operations of the Williamsburg Area Transit Authority under the direction of the WATA Board of Directors. The Executive Director works closely with the Board to propose activities and programs and carry out policies and programs. The Executive Director also acts as a liaison between WATA and federal, state, local, and regional organizations.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Manages all WATA activities of the public transportation system; oversees the management and development of WATA fixed routes and paratransit services and the development and implementation of programs for all areas of WATA transit operations, including marketing, public relations, operator regulations, safety, preventative maintenance, purchase of services agreements, etc.
- Provides effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities; works with staff in the development and execution of WATA’s budget and grants; ensures all equipment, materials and work conditions are adequately maintained to prevent accidents; provides management and oversight over operations and maintenance.
- Prepares the annual budget for Board consideration, executes contracts approved by the Board, and reports to the Board on a regular basis concerning WATA’s operations.
- Works with local, state and federal government officials to ensure that WATA complies with all applicable rules, regulations and requirements; determines transportations needs of citizens, visitors and students; participates in coordinating various transportation resources in the community to provide more efficient service.
- Prepares and presents resolutions, reports, and other information to the WATA Board of Directors; makes presentations to member governing bodies; provides orientation to new Board members of WATA; works with the Board of Directors to develop WATA goals and objectives.
- Serves as the Authority’s representative on the Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization and prepares, submits, and monitors requests to federal, state, and local funding partners.
- Provides assistance to local, regional, state, and transit organizations and committees as needed.
- Interacts professionally with various levels of employees, outside representatives, public officials, the media, and the community at large; provides oversight of a citizen advisory group consisting of the cross section of the public and business community.
- Establishes standard operating procedures; oversees the implementation of all policies established by the WATA Board of Directors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $105,476 to $167,185, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include but are not limited to WATA vehicle for business use, participation in the Virginia Retirement System, vacation and sick leave, group life insurance, medical insurance, and approved professional dues and conference expenses. Relocation expenses negotiable.
This position requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, public policy, finance, planning, transportation planning or related field; with extensive experience in public and/or private sector management, to include supervisory experience. EOE.
This position is open until filled; however, interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply no later than January 18, 2023.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/bakertilly/jobs/3837632-0/executive-director-williamsburg-area-transit-authority-va
For more information, please contact Art Davis at art.davis@bakertilly or 816.868.7042, or Yolanda Howze at email@example.com or 312.240.3401.