Public transportation is a vital piece of everyday life for millions of Americans, and we want you to join our team. Being a Transit Bus Operator gives you the chance for a rewarding career, not just another job. Williamsburg Area Transit Authority is hiring driven individuals who are people-oriented, safety conscious, and have a good driving record. Transit Bus Operators help to provide reliable transportation and a friendly face to residents and visitors of the Greater Williamsburg area.
As a member of WATA staff you will play a vital role in creating an efficient and effective public transportation system that provides around 1 million trips per year. These trips connect our riders to jobs, schools, shopping centers, recreational activities, and more.
Employment as a full-time operator includes a guaranteed 40 hours a week, paid training, and excellent benefits to include Virginia State Retirement. This position includes a 6-month introductory period.
Transit Bus Operator (FT)
Transit Bus Operator (PT)
Willing to train if you already have a CDL class B permit!
Essential job functions include:
- Operate a 30’-40’ transit bus or paratransit body on chassis. Must have a valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License (A or B with passenger and air brakes endorsement)
- Memorize and understand WATA routes and stop locations.
- Ensure passenger safety through code of conduct and proper vehicle operation.
- Complete daily reports and deliver fare boxes as required.
- Routinely assist in maintenance of WATA vehicles, bus shelters and other property as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Post Offer Requirements:
- Previous CDL drug testing check
- Driving record check
- Drug test
- Physical exam
- National criminal/sex offender record check
Post Hire Requirements:
- Must maintain a valid Virginia Class B Commercial Driver’s License with passenger and air brakes endorsement and have an acceptable driving record.
- Periodic physical exam.
- Random drug and alcohol tests.
- Periodic driving record checks
Click HERE to create a James City County profile and apply! Multiple positions available for both full and part time.